9.28.2014

Alice

While in college, I was intrigued by the thought of game personas. How virtual reality transforms a person into different adaptations of themselves.
The idea of creating yourself anew, without the physical change.

In college, we were taught that one of the reasons for game design is entertainment. People want to customize the things that they think are fun: movies, books, dramas, games. It makes life less hard to come by.
Then you learn somewhere along the line of how interactive games are. Why people play them. What purpose or need they serve to the people that interact with them.

Need. Purpose.

When I was in college, I was very interested in the idea behind Alice and the Looking Glass. Having not read the literature or studied the poetry extensively, I made my own interpretation of the story.

Then I began creating my online persona called Alice.

Alice, like the character that I wrote her to be, was an objectified person. Not because she wasn't real, but because everyone she met didn't think she or her logic was real.

A bit of truth inlaid with sarcasm and a healthy dose of feigned innocence. She didn't hide the truth, she just refused to face it.

No comments:

Post a Comment